There are many types of axes and most are a single bit axe, a handle with a single blade head. The double bit axe is composed of two blades. One edge is kept in a sharp condition and the is used for chopping around dirt and rocks (resulting in a blunt edge). The double bit axe is mostly used by professional, but that shouldn’t stop you from buying one!
Where can a Double Bit Axe be used for?
The double bit axe is really a versatile axe due is length and weight. To give you an idea:
- Cutting Lumber
You can use it for cutting lumber. Because of the two sides, you can use one for the more obtuse angle and the other for the thinner angles.
- Chopping firewood
While this might not the best choice for splitting firewood, the heavier head gives it enough force for a quick an accurate cut.
- Shaping Wood
The double bit axe is also commonly used for making furniture or an art craft. The sharpness of the blade inflicts minimal damage to the wood while it’s being shaped.
It’s also used in the woodsman sport. The heavy head of the double bit axe builds up a great amount of power when thrown to the centre of a target.
The Best Doube Bit Axe
Estwing Double Bit Axe – 38 oz
- OUTDOOR VERSATILITY - Perfect for chopping logs, small trees & branches or splitting firewood & kindling. This axe is a must have for lumberjacks, forest managers, and land owners.
- PATENTED SHOCK REDUCTION GRIP - Reducing impact vibration by 70%, Estwing's molded shock reduction grip provides optimal slip-free comfort, durability and superior grip in all jobsite conditions
- FORGED STEEL CONSTRUCTION – Engineered for maximum strength and durability for a lifetime of hard work from this double headed axe.
- HEAVY DUTY SHEATH - Includes ballistic nylon sheath to protect hand sharpened cutting edge.
- MADE IN THE USA – Since 1923, our tools have been proudly American made in Rockford, IL using only the finest American steel.
The Estwing is available in 3 designs, all black, blue and a leather-wrapped handle with black. This is a real sportsmen axe. It has a lightweight design and a shock reduction grip. The Estwing is perfectly balanced and weighted. Perfect for the sportsman, but also a great versatile outdoor axe for chopping logs, small trees and splitting small firewood.
Marbles Outdoors Knives 700DB Double Bit Axe
A tiny double bit axe, the total length of this axe is 14.5 inches. So we could also call it a double bit hatchet… It is a decent axe, you might need to sharpen the edge a bit when you receive it. This is the type of axe you keep in your jeep for just in case or take with you on an occasional hiking trip.
Council Tool Velvicut Premium Saddle Axe
- Double Bit 32° and 25°
- American Hickory Handle
- 5160 Steel
- Pre-Hanging Handle Length 16" Actual Post-Hanging Length +/-15.5"
The Council is also a small double bit axe with a handle length of 16″. This premium axe is beautifully crafted and extremely durable. The size of the axe and the multifunctional design made this model an perfect axe for carrying in a saddle bag.
The left blade on has an extremely sharp 25-degree flat grind for cutting, saving and carving. The right blade has a robust 32-degree flat grind for splitting and heavier jobs. This make is a very well designed and useful axe which is easy to carry on a hiking trip.
Condor Double Bit Michigan Axe
- Crafted from the highest quality materials
- Built for performance and durability
- Made in El Salvador
- Handle: American Hickory 18 inch
- Blade Material: 1045 HIGH CARBON STEEL
A decent well made double bit axe. With a length around the 26 inches is it perfect for some modest chopping. The hickory handle is great, the grain is perfectly aligned. For the price a pretty fine axe!
Best Double Bit Axe Compared
Below you will find all the double bix axes compared with the important details listed.Invalid table id.