A hatchet is something well all have lying around the house. It’s useful for creating kindlings, to take with you when you are hiking or when you go camping. Hatchets are small and easy to carry and can be used for chopping small pieces of wood or to perform small chores around the camp. But if you are reading this, then you are probably looking for a new or the best hatchet to buy.
There are a lot of hatchets available to choose from, all in different prices ranges and features. I compared them all to help you select the best hatchet for your needs. What we are looking for is a hatchet that is not too heavy, has a blade guard so we can safely carry it on our hiking trips and a perfect balance and power-to-weight ratio.
At the end of the article, your will find a comparison table with all the hatches in one overview with the most important details. I have limited the list to 6 items because it won’t help your listing every possible hatchet out there. You are looking for the best hatchet, so I selected the best!
Husqvarna 13″ Wooden Hatchet
- Small, light axe that can be used for cutting branches or splitting small camp fire wood
- Head is attached to the hickory shaft using both a wooden and steel wedge to secure fastening
- Comes with a leather edge cover
A Swedish hand-forged hatchet with a perfect balance for this size. The handle is curved which force you to hold the hatchet at the end of near the head if you want more control. It came reasonably sharp, but after 5 minutes with an oil stone, it is like a hot knife in butter.
The handle has a nice quality and is made from Hickory. It’s unvarnished and has a good grip. With the low price, it’s my number one hatchet to go for.
Fiskars X7 14″ Hatchet
- MULTI-USE HATCHET: Sharp blade hatchet is an ideal kindling splitter for outside by the firepit, while camping, hiking, or spending time outdoors; Chops deeper with each swing to get more done faster
- EFFICIENT AND COMFORTABLE USE: Perfected balance and power-to-weight ratio increases swing speed to multiply power, much like an aluminum baseball bat; Low friction blade coating prevents the head from getting stuck
- LONG-LASTING AND RELIABLE: Blade-grinding technique provides a sharper edge for better contact and a better wood splitter; Provides excellent durability and lasting value
- QUALITY OUTDOOR TOOLS: Designed to help you embrace the outdoors, Fiskars axes and hatchets are equipped with smart technologies and award-winning, ergonomic features that make it easier and more enjoyable to tackle outdoor tasks
- INCLUDES: 1 Fiskars X7 Hatchet measuring 16.5" in length; Full lifetime warranty
Another easy-to-carry Swedish hatchet, the X7 from Fiskars is ideal for chopping kindling and small logs. Like the other axes in the X-series, is the blade made from a stronger than steel FierComp and is the head made from Carbon steel. The head has a perfect bevelled blade design and is coated with a low-friction coating.
The overall weight is low, mostly due to the lightweight FiberComp handle. The handle has a good grip and the X7 comes with a lifetime warranty.
Estwing 14″ Camping Hatchet
- OUTDOOR VERSATILITY - Designed for chopping logs, small trees, branches or splitting firewood & kindling, making it the perfect backpacking hatchet.
- GENUINE LEATHER GRIP – Hand sanded and lacquered for a durable yet comfortable finish
- FORGED IN ONE PIECE - Forged using one solid piece of American steel. This means no poor quality castings or welds to fail. The result is the most durable, longest lasting striking tool available.
- HEAVY DUTY SHEATH - Includes a ballistic nylon sheath to protect the hand sharpened cutting edge
- MADE IN THE USA – Since 1923, our tools have been proudly American made in Rockford, IL using only the finest American steel.
The world famous Estwing’s Sportsman’s axe, a really good choice for every outdoorsman. The Estwing hatchet is drop forged in one piece, resulting in a very durable and long lasting outdoor tool. The head and neck of the hatchet is polished and looks beautiful. The handle is wrapped in a genuine leather for a comfortable grip.
The Estwing is available in two sizes, a 12 and 14 inches and is delivered with a nice nylon sheath to protect it.
Gerber 14″ Hatchet
- QUALITY CRAFTED: Features a forged steel head, PTFE coated blade, 14" shock-absorbing FiberComp handle, patented 3D grip, and easily removable sheath; Ideal for splitting smaller and medium-sized logs
- SURVIVAL GEAR AND EQUIPMENT: Made with a steel head and solid FiberComp handle that will stand the test of time and comfortably sit in the hand
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Portable, compact axe with ultra-sharp blade; Low-friction PTFE coating and hardened forged steel blade allow you to chop faster, 3x deeper than average, and with more efficiency without sticking
- WORKSITE AND CAMPING ACCESSORIES: Great for any hunter, tradesman, and for everyday carry; Perfect addition to camping essentials, toolbox, work wear, and fishing and hiking gear
- CONVENIENT SIZE: 14" overall length; 23 oz weight; Backed by the Gerber Guarantee, a limited lifetime warranty
The Gerber hatchet is just like the Fiskars a popular choice for many. And that is not strange, Fiskars is the parent company of Gerber. So the Fiskars X7 and the Gerber 14-inch are basically the same hatchets. The only difference is the colour and name. Both are a great product, so pick the one with the best prices or which you like the most.
Helko Callis Pathfinder Hatchet
- Handmade in Germany: The Pathfinder is comfortable to hold, well balanced, and unfailingly dependable. It performs well at making kindling, limbing branches, general yard work, and is a reliable camp or packing tool. The hammerhead poll may be used to drive tent stakes and perform other light hammering. The head is buffed and polished to a reflective finish that reduces cutting friction and improves rust resistance.
- C50 HIGH CARBON STEEL: 53-56 HRC - Helko Werk axe heads are open-face drop forged individually by hand from German C50 high grade carbon steel. Drop forging is a process in which the blacksmith uses tongs to hold and shape hot steel as a drop hammer falls repeatedly onto it. This hatchet is handmade and hand-forged with a highly polished Classic finish to prevent rust and reduce cutting friction.
- Grade A American Hickory Handle: Linseed Oil Finish, 150 GRIT SANDED Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory handle. All Helko Werk camping axes and hatchets have handles individually hand finished and selected for grain orientation and density with a boiled linseed oil finish and sanded to 150 grit for a comfortable and smooth finish on your axe handle
- Includes Full Grain Leather Sheath and 1oz Axe Guard Protective Oil: All Helko Werk axes and hatchets include a vegetable-tanned premium leather axe sheath to protect your axe blade and head. The Axe Guard oil is a metal protecting oil to help maintain the steel of your axe head, and prevent rust over time.
- Dimensions: Head Weight: 1-1/4 lb / Length: 15 in. / Total Weight: 1-3/4 lb
The Helko Callis Hatchet is a bit expensive, but a real premium hatchet. The Pathfinder is flawlessly balanced, beautifully crafted and really comfortable to hold. The Pathfinder Hatchet is handmade in Germany from C50 High-grade carbon steel with a fain grain grade-A Hickory handle which is made in Switzerland.
The Helko is really the most beautiful and best hatchet available on the market.
Hults Bruk Tarnaby Hatchet
- This axe head is hand-forged and made from Swedish axe steel in a foundry that has been in operation since 1697.
- As part of the production process, the steel is struck multiple times thereby increasing its density and resulting in more durability of the axe.
- The head is constructed in such a way that there is a tempered zone designed to hold a very sharp edge even after many sharpenings.
- Each axe comes with a traditional leather protective sheath that is embellished with some unique Swedish decorative elements. The axe is shipped in its own storage box and comes with a detailed users manual.
Another real quality hatchet, also a bit expensive compared to the Fiskar and Husqvarna, but well worth it. It has a amazing build quality, is well balanced and superior shaped head. It’s really comfortable to handle and razor sharp when you receive it.
If you want a quality product, then go for the Hults Bruk or Helko and you are set for life.
Best Hatchet compared
In the table below you will find all hatchets compared with the most important details listed.Invalid table id.